Belbin Team Roles Consultancy
Discover the behavioral strengths and weaknesses of the individuals that you work with. Use Team Roles to help build high-performing teams, maximize working relationships, and enable people to learn about themselves.
Engage and develop the talent that is already around you!
Belbin Team Roles measure behavior, not personality, and so can be defined as:
"A tendency to behave, contribute and interrelate with others in a particular way."
- Dr. Meredith Belbin
Belbin Team Roles are used to identify people's behavioral strengths and weaknesses in the workplace.
A team should be put together with team members chosen to ensure that the correct balance of skill and behavior is achieved.
This doesn't mean that you need nine (9) individuals, each with one strong Team Role. Each of us can play two or three Team Roles well, and should learn to adapt our behavior to the needs of the of team's objective.
- Build productive working relationships
- Select and develop high-performing teams
- Raise self-awareness and personal effectiveness
- Build mutual trust and understanding
- Aid recruitment processes
The research of Dr. Meredith Belbin lead to the development of Belbin Team Roles: nine (9) clusters of behavior that individuals adopt when participating in a team.
- Teams comprising a balanced mix of Team Roles outperformed unbalanced teams.
- Teams consistently outperform individuals when dealing with high risk-high complex issues where a wide range of complementary behaviors is required.
The 9 Belbin team roles required for an effective team
- Plants are creative, unorthodox and generators of ideas.
- The Resource Investigator gives a team a rush of enthusiasm at the start of the project by vigorously pursuing contacts and opportunities.
- A Coordinator is a likely candidate for the chairperson of a team, since they have a talent for stepping back to see the big picture.
- The Shaper is a task-focused individual who pursues objectives with vigour and who is driven by tremendous energy and the need to achieve - for the Shaper, winning is the name of the game.
- Monitor Evaluators are fair and logical observers and judges of what is going on in the team.
- A Teamworker is the oil between the cogs that keeps the machine that is the team running smoothly.
- The Implementer takes their colleagues' suggestions and ideas and turns them into positive action.
- The Completer/Finisher is a perfectionist and will often go the extra mile to make sure everything is "just right," and the things he or she delivers can be trusted to have been double-checked and then checked again.
- Specialists are passionate about learning in their own particular field. As a result, they are likely to be a fountain of knowledge and will enjoy imparting this knowledge to others.
Our case studiesSee all projects
Tell us about your project
Let us help you get your business online and grow it with passion
Contact us to assess your members and get a workshop on how to implement Belbin in your team.
TestimonialsSee all testimonials